In my lifetime I have worked in a few places and I have yet to work in a place with mainly women or all women; that's crazy. Weird fact: I’d much rather talk about planes and cars and boyish stuff then sewing and cooking and clothing, but don’t get me wrong, I love cooking and sewing and dressing up. So I guess it has worked out well that my work places are always full of guys. In honour of my 2 year anniversary working where I am here are 5 things I have learned being a girl in an all male workplace. Please keep in mind that I am in a completely non-christian workplace environment so some of the points will reflect that.
1. Guys tease. Guys are always bugging, making fun of and/or teasing each other! If they catch me on the wrong day with their teasing though I sometimes just wanna cry. It’s funny how guys always seem to need something to bug about something and yet will walk away from a conversation laughing and completely unfazed. Definitely not a girl thing, we walk away over thinking everything that was said and the searching for the deeper, hidden meaning behind every word said. So basically I’ve learned to take everything with a smile and a wave around here.
2. The only people that clean the place are girls and the boss. Honestly I feel like if we went away the place would just get worse and worse as no one noticed the steady pile up of dust on everything that isn’t being used regularly. Oh, don’t even mention the floor… there’s a floor?! It gets dirty?! I’m definitely making it sound worse than it is but in the 2 years I’ve been here I could count on one hand the amount of times I’ve seen some of the guys here help clean. (this doesn’t bug me, I don’t really care. Just a thing I’ve noticed.)
3. They don’t care about how you feel about something. Give them the facts and that's good. They stop listening as soon as feelings come into play. Consequently my coworkers are not my friends, because GIRLS NEED FEELINGS CONNECTION! Just to be clear I have never and will never pour out my heart to any of them. But,
4. Guys enjoy talking about things they are interested in! It makes me smile watching them get all excited about things they are concerned about or interested in. Their convictions mean a lot to them.
5. Guy drama is a thing. I have concluded, although not as destructive as girl drama, guy drama is very real. They are just dramatic about different things. They can get very worked up about the simplest things. I laugh at guy drama like they probably roll their eyes at girl drama.
For the most part I would much rather work in an all guy workplace then an all girl workplace, heard too many stories about all girl workplaces. I’ve appreciated my time here in this work place, and getting to know the community a bit more then I knew it before.